Saturday, July 27, 2013

Apples and More Apples!

The other day I was fortunate enough to win a little green pouch from the  Lean and Green Frugal Living blog and since then my daughter has been begging to use them. So I decided to make homemade applesauce. Since I was already getting apples for that I figured why not buy 2 more to make some apple chips.



First thing I did was to wash them. I used half water and half vinegar. You only leave the apples in there until the water turns grey. This helps to get off all the wax and dirt.

Applesauce
For the applesauce, I used 2 red delicious, 1 granny smith apple, and 1 golden delicious.
 
 
Peel, slice and core the apple.
 
 
 
In a pot put a half of cup of water and the apple slices.


 
Cover the pot, turn it to medium heat and let it cook for about 20 minutes.
After the 20 minutes, take it off the heat and start to mash it. I started with a fork and then went to a flat wooden spoon. I only need to add about 1tsp of sugar and 1/2tsp of cinnamon.
 
I made mine pretty smooth since it was going into the little green pouch.
 
Apple Chips
 
After washing the apples, I cored my apples. When looking on-line for tips on making the chips, some people didn't core the apple. I did only because the seeds are toxic.
 
 
Slice the apples. You don't want them too thick or too thin. Lay them on a tray in a single layer and sprinkle with cinnamon.
 
 
Bake at 325*F for 20 minutes. Flip them and bake for another 10 minutes.
 







2 comments:

  1. I had no idea applesauce was this easy to make! I'm pinning this to pinterest to make later :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it tastes so much better than store bought

    ReplyDelete