Friday, July 26, 2013

Reverse Tie-Dye

This was something else that I had seen on Pinterest. It's called reverse tie dye. You take a colored shirt and use bleach. If you decided to do this, my suggestion would be the darker the shirt the better. You will see why below with the shirts that I used.

Supplies:
1 dark shirt
bleach
rubber bands
water
large plastic bowl

I used the shirts that we got from Vacation Bible School this week. My daughters was yellow and mine was green.

 
 
 
We each took some rubber bands and tied up the shirt like you would with any normal tie dye.
 
 
 


After that we took a larger plastic bowl and put it in the sink. I used a mixture of 3.5 cups of bleach to 3 cups of water. I let the yellow shirt sit in the solution for at least 10 minutes flipping it 2 times. I rinsed it in the sink and set it aside. The green shirt did not take as long. It took maybe a minute on each side. The darker the shirt the less time you will need to keep it in the solution.


After doing a quick rinse in the sink, I ran them through the washing machine 2 times on the rinse cycle. The first time, I rinsed them in the washing machine with the rubber bands on. The second time, the rubber bands were off. Then off into the dryer they went.

Here is the final look:
There is no picture of the yellow one because you can barely see the circle.

My suggestions:
1. Use a dark colored shirt
2. Make sure you use enough rubber bands.
3. Don't leave it in the bleach solution very long.

Next time I try it, I will have to remember my own suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment